To make the right choice of website development framework, you need some criteria to compare possible solutions and choose the best fitting your needs.
Here are 10 factors making a great framework that you should be looking at when deciding on your new development solution:
- Main idea. The very essence and a fundamental requirement for your choice of framework, the main idea, or philosophy of a framework, will tell you if it meets your demands. Besides, the tool built by experts for their own purposes will likely serve your development purposes well, too.
- Popularity. You’ll want to use a well-known solution since the more popular it is, the more solid it will be. That is, it will be the one that evolves with modern technological demands, adopts new ideas, offers a larger number of plugins and is generally of higher quality.
- Sustainability. When choosing your framework, it’s useful to ensure it is going to meet your needs for the duration. Thus you’ll simplify both your apps’ maintenance and upgrading.
- Support. You may have answers while using the framework, so it’s better to identify beforehand how easily you can find the answers and get help. Make it clear for yourself what kind of support you are to get from the publisher, if you can rely on IRC and mailing lists from the community, if the service companies provide support and training, etc.
- Interoperability. Unless you don’t want to find yourself trapped in the labyrinth, it’s recommended to choose some interoperable solution that would respect development best practices, such as design patterns, etc.
- Security. You know that potentially any app is vulnerable, that’s why you’ll want to minimize your risks and select a solution that provides such security functions as XSS management and others.
- Documentation. If you want to get the most upgradeable solution which is easy to use, it’s a must to check the nature, amount and quality of the literature there is about the framework, to see how well-documented it is.
- License. The factor that is often overlooked by those choosing a web development framework, licenses are important because of their possible impact on the apps you’re developing. For instance, an app built with a framework under the GPL license will be necessarily subject to GPL while this will not be the case for the MIT license.
- Resources. Provided you are not really into the web development business and it’s your first site to develop, you would likely want a tech team to be around you during the development process or even in the longer run to help you with maintenance and upgrades. To make this possible, you need to ensure the skills required to use the framework you feel like choosing as your development tool are available on the market.
- Usability. To be 100% sure of your choice you should not be satisfied with somebody else’s reviews, rumors and comments, no matter good or bad. Instead, you’ll test it out by yourself to know for sure. Once you try out the framework, you’ll know exactly if you are absolutely comfortable with that tool.
Finally, as the framework of your choice is likely to be your long-term commitment, take this decision seriously and make sure you’ve selected right.